Ten Commandments: Work hard, play harder

At Barrel, SoHo, NYC
Picture taken from http://startupstockphotos.com/

I started working as soon as I turned 16. I never thought that I would start working at that very early age. When I was still in the Philippines, I had the plan of just going to finish college, and start working after college, which was when I turned 21. But plans are meant to be changed. My parents decided that it would be better to immigrate to America. Now in America, it is very normal for a 16-year-old to work part time, and since I wanted to visit the Philippines, I decided to start working and saving up money.

My first job was at a smoothie place called Froots. I definitely enjoyed it. I was working with my really good friend, who recommended me to the owner of the store. It was the perfect high school job, maybe up until college, too. I stayed there until I was a freshman in college. I moved jobs because I had the opportunity to work as a CNA at an assisted living. I was a nursing student as I entered college, but eventually switched to a Chemistry student after a couple of changes in my life. I've always had at least one job, but there was a point in college when I had the opportunity to work as a lab aide, which means I get to sit down at the Chemistry stockroom, clean labs, and just do homework when there's nothing that needs to be done. At one point, I was a full time student at a university and actually have three jobs: I was a lab aide, a CNA, and a sales associate at Charlotte Russe.

I've always worked hard and I won't stop until I get where I want to get. I don't know where I want to be yet, but I am pretty sure I will get there.


CONVERSATION

Back
to top